Monday, July 21, 2014

Last night we stayed up late at the campfire in Kincardine and rode back on our bikes to the sailboat in the dark at about 11:30 p.m. This morning, we took our time getting up and at ’em because we expected to travel just 25 nautical miles to Port Elgin. We left the marina at 9:00 a.m. which is a late start for us.

When we started, the wind was very light so we motored at about 5.7 to 6.2 knots. At about 11:00 a.m. the wind picked up and we were able to set our jib which gave us a motor/sail speed of 6.2 to 6.5. The waves were a bit on our port side but mostly following so it was a very comfortable ride. Actually, perfect.

When we got close to Port Elgin, we decided to keep moving on to a further destination, anchoring behind Lyle Island at Stoke’s Bay. I made banana muffins from scratch en route and we had homemade pizzas for lunch.

The weather continued to be fair and we were tooting along, so at 4:00 p.m. when it was almost time to turn off to Lyle’s Island, we conferred and decided to go all the way to the next port of call, Tobermory. This meant that we had to correct our direction a bit.

At this point I called ahead to the Tobermory Municipal Marina because we thought that they may close before our arrival. They told us to tie up at the fuel dock when we arrived and we would settle with them in the morning.

All we had to do was continue on our course, relax, and enjoy the ride. Most of the way we were able to use the self-steering auto-pilot with Rick checking the navigation along the way. We each had time to enjoy a nap throughout the day.

For dinner, I made poached wild salmon, brown and wild rice, and radishes. We had some banana muffins for dessert.

We saw only one fishing boat all day. We were nowhere near the shipping channel so freighters were not nearby and I don’t know why there were not any more pleasure boats on the water.

Okay, so I have to write about a freaky fly phenomenon that happened throughout the day. At about 2 p.m. I was in the cabin and I could hear Rick constantly snapping away with the flyswatter. He was killing the flies that suddenly started swarming the boat left and right. I got into the flyswatter action and we were constantly putting flies to rest until 6:30 p.m. when they abated as quickly as they had started. We were doing double headers and Rick even had one quadruple header. Honestly, I know this sounds impossible, but I truly believe that we killed at least 1000 flies!!! From where did they come? I need to find out more about this phenomenon but I’m thinking that maybe they hatched on board and had nowhere to go. How else would they have made it to the middle of the lake? Anyway, with only a few bites on our ankles, it makes for an interesting memory of our day out on Lake Huron.

We arrived at Tobermory at 8:15 p.m. after 11.25 hours out on the water and 71.5 nautical miles under our belts. The dock hands were still on duty so they helped us tie up at the fuel docks.

Both Rick and I were tired but happy after a wonderful day on our way to the North Channel.

This entry was posted in Sailing Adventures and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.