It was much too windy to set out for our next destination, Erie, Pennsylvania, so we hunkered down in Dunkirk. We had some enjoyable summertime fun while we were here.
As I mentioned before, the locals in Dunkirk are very friendly. A number of people at the marina offered us use of their car or they were willing to run errands for us. Passersby, young and old, usually acknowledged us with a hello. Anyone we interacted with was helpful, patient, and very often made a point to shake our hands after our exchange. The town appears to be struggling financially. Apparently, their economy was tied into the steel industry and a big flour factory which both went down.
Here are a few of the things we did in this little town:
– We made good use of their lakeside bicycle trail.
– We took part in their Beach Bash celebrations which included some live music by local cover bands, and a small-scale sand sculpture event.
– We enjoyed their top rate used book store run by volunteers working with the school boards to encourage literacy in the community.
– Jenna’s Diner, a circa 1950’s diner, served us a great breakfast.
– There was a walleye (pickerel) fishing tournament and we checked in at the weigh station to hob nob with the fishermen.
– We had a guided tour of the local lighthouse which was first established in 1827 then revamped in 1875.
I cooked a big pot of chili, we read our books, I did Chache’s exercises and did a yoga practice. We chatted with the other boaters at the marina and went for several coffee breaks at a little cafe run by a 1960’s music buff named Steve.
You can see that we had some summertime fun in this little town.
Being here brings to mind for me how, in a way, we live in a great big world with lots of people going about doing their own things, living their own lives. On the other hand, meeting this small sample of people, I feel connected to others and know that we are all really more alike than different.
Life is grand.
(Look for some great photos to come at a later time!)
(Did I mention that I miss my computer?? Insert smiley face here.)